How to choose a wedding cake
The modern tiered wedding cake got its start in the late 18th century. The romantic story that is told is of a London baker who fell in love with his boss’s daughter. He wanted to propose to her and impress her father so he baked a tiered cake that resembled the tower of St. Bride’s Church of London and presented it to her as a token of his love. Ah, love sweet love…
The tiered wedding cake is still the most popular today. Bakers have updated this timeless traditional cake in many ways!
We asked some of our favorite bakers what kind of cakes they’ve been making. Here are the wedding cake requests that they get the most often from couples planning their weddings:
- · All white cakes with textured icing, lace icing, and piped decorations
- · The classic fresh flowers on a tired wedding cake. Flowers on top of the wedding cake, running down the sides of the cake, and flowers between the layers using acrylic risers
- · Wedding cake with rolled fondant with deckled edges often in gold or another wedding color
- · Wedding cakes with a drip or drizzle of icing, chocolate, white chocolate, or caramel
- · Macaroon cookies or candy on top of wedding cakes
- · Buttercream palette painted flowers
- · Marbled fondant wedding cakes
- · Tiered naked wedding cakes with beautiful greenery wrapped around the layers or pretty succulents
- · Wedding cakes topped with fresh fruit
- · Blush and pastel colored wedding cakes
- · Wedding cakes with edible life-like gum paste flowers
- · Dried and pressed real edible flowers
- · Unique cake toppers that reflect the couple’s interests
It’s important to remember that wedding cakes are more than a dessert, your wedding cake is a centerpiece of your wedding décor and should match your wedding theme and wedding colors.
When hiring a wedding cake baker consider that you are not just not buying a cake. You are buying a cake professional’s time, baking skills, & artistic talent to make you the perfect delicious dessert and make you a special forever wedding memory.
How large a wedding cake do you need? That depends. Here are some helpful tips on selecting the right size for your wedding cake.
- · How many guests are you having?
- · Do you want to cut the top layer or take it home?
- · Is the cake the only desert option you are serving?
- · Will you have a wedding dessert table?
- · Do you want to have wedding cake boxes for guest to take home an extra slice?
- · Will you also have wedding cupcakes, cookies, or other treats?
Here is a guide for how large a wedding cake to order for the number of guests it will serve and the number of slices you get from your wedding cake. (of course, the number changes with the size of the slice, you can slice cake paper thin or make a great big slice of cake) This is how much wedding cake you will need for your wedding guests.
How do you find a great Cake Baker for your wedding?
Search Yes Love for the best wedding cake bakers near you!
Thanks to: Zub Cakes , Chelle Chelle , Love Cake, Ashley Bakery, Artylicious Cakes, Betty Cakes, Sweet It Is!